By John Dixon Hunt
A eastern backyard is straight away precise to the attention from the normal gardens of an English manor apartment, simply because the manicured topiaries of Versailles distinction with the pointy cacti of the yank Southwest. although gardening is loved internationally, the fashion of gardens themselves varies from quarter to zone, made up our minds as a lot by means of tradition as weather. during this sequence of illustrated essays, John Dixon Hunt takes us on an international travel of alternative sessions within the making of gardens.
Hunt exhibits right here how cultural assumptions and native geography have formed gardens and their that means. He explores our carrying on with responses to land and reworkings of the wildlife, encompassing a huge variety of gardens, from historical Roman occasions to early Islamic and Mughal gardens, from chinese language and jap gardens to the discovery of the general public park and glossy panorama structure. A global of Gardens seems at key chapters in backyard historical past, reviewing their value previous and current and tracing the recurrence of other subject matters and motifs within the layout and reception of gardens through the world.
A international of Gardens celebrates the concept that related reviews of gardens are available in lots of various instances and locations, together with sacred landscapes, clinical gardens, city gardens, secluded gardens, and symbolic gardens. that includes 2 hundred pictures, this booklet is a treasure trove of principles and suggestion, even if your backyard is a window field, a secluded yard, or a daydream.
Table of Contents-
Introduction: The backyard global and the realm of Gardens
1. Sacred Landscapes from Delphi to Yosemite
2. looking Parks to enjoyment Parks
3. old Roman Gardens and their Types
4. Islamic and Mughal Gardens
5. Western Medieval Gardens: From Cloister to Suburban Backyard
6. The Renaissance restoration of vintage backyard types and Usages
7. The Paragone of artwork and Nature within the Renaissance and Later
8. The Botanical backyard, the Arboretum and the cupboard of Curiosities
9. backyard as Theatre
10. The backyard of 'Betweenity': among André Le Nôtre and William Kent
11. jumping the Ha-ha; or, How the bigger panorama Invaded the Garden
12. The position of the 'Natural' backyard from 'Capability' Brown to Dan Kiley
13. The chinese language backyard and the Collaboration of the Arts
14. Follies, Fabriques and Picturesque Play
15. the discovery of the general public Park
16. nationwide Parks and foreign Exhibition Gardens
17. jap Gardens and their Legacy to the West
18. Arts and Crafts Gardens: The Artist again within the Garden
19. The Prose and Poetry of contemporary panorama Architecture
20. The as soon as and destiny Garden
Acknowledgements and picture Acknowledgements
Read or Download A World of Gardens PDF
Best gardening books
Recommending herbs for either future health and minor illnesses, that includes an A-Z listing of a hundred key herbs, and with info on tips to develop, harvest, organize, and use them, domestic natural deals a wealth of useful recommendation at the medicinal, cleansing, and consumptive makes use of of herbs, with the emphasis on what an individual can in attaining of their backyard and kitchen.
Invoice Alexander had no concept that his basic dream of getting a vegetable backyard and small orchard in his yard could lead him into life-and-death battles with groundhogs, webworms, weeds, and climate; nighttime expeditions within the lifeless of iciness to dig up clean thyme; and skirmishes with associates who feed the vermin (i.
A ebook written essentially as a qualified reference that still has confirmed worthy to amateurs as a result intensity of the data supplied. Gardeners who develop plants for growing floral monitors will locate the author's tips on optimum levels of harvest helpful.
New Zealand’s favorite domestic and way of life journal, NZ condo & backyard celebrates the houses, life and creativity of latest Zealanders. consistently a pride, NZ condo & backyard explores a unprecedented number of inspiring, attractive and interesting houses and gardens.
- Strength of the Earth: The Classic Guide to Ojibwe Uses of Native Plants
- The Farm as Ecosystem: Tapping Nature's Reservoir ─ Biology, Geology, Diversity
- Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners (2nd Edition)
- The Backyard Homestead Book of Building Projects: 76 Useful Things You Can Build to Create Customized Working Spaces and Storage Facilities, Equip the Garden, Store the Harvest, House Your Animals, and Make Practical Outdoor Furniture
Extra resources for A World of Gardens
Partnership for a Drug-Free America 100 At Paul Masson, we will sell no wine before its time. Paul Masson wines 101 Come Alive! You’re in the Pepsi Generation. Pepsi-Cola soda 102 Pepsi-Cola hits the spot. Pepsi-Cola soda 103 It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken. Perdue chicken 104 The Greatest Show on Earth. P. T. m. Do you know where your children are? Public service announcement 106 I liked it so much, I bought the company. Remington shavers 107 How do you spell relief ? R-O-L-A-I-D-S.
1 Then one day there really was a wolf, but when the boy shouted they didn’t believe him. ‘‘The Boy Who Cried Wolf ’’ 2 Oh, you aren’t even ripe yet! I don’t need any sour grapes. ‘‘The Fox and the Bunch of Grapes’’ 3 The Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing. S. naturalist, 1807–1873 1 The eye of the trilobite tells us that the sun shone on the old beach where he lived; for there is nothing in nature without a purpose, and when so complicated an organ was made to receive the light, there must have been light to enter it.
13 [Miles Monroe, played by Woody Allen, speaking about what he believes in:] Sex and death. Two things that come once in a lifetime. But at least after death you’re not nauseous. Sleeper (motion picture) (1973). Cowritten with Marshall Brickman. 14 [Miles Monroe, played by Woody Allen, speaking:] My brain? It’s my second favorite organ. Sleeper (motion picture) (1973). Cowritten with Marshall Brickman. 15 [Boris Grushenko, played by Woody Allen, speaking:] Some men are heterosexual and some men are bisexual and some men don’t think about sex at all, you know, they become lawyers.
A World of Gardens by John Dixon Hunt